Volca Bass Analogue Bass Machine
The Korg Volca Bass is an Electribe-inspired analogue bass sequencer, offered in a compact size.
Drawing inspiration from the Korg Monotron and Monotribe range, the Volca Bass takes care of the low end duties of the new Volca series of analogue synthesizer grooveboxes. Featuring three oscillators, an envelope generator, a newly designed filter, a VCA and an LFO, the Volca Bass uses a simple architecture with plenty of options for crafting a unique tone. The Volca Bass can also be connected and controlled by your DAW via MIDI.
The three analogue oscillators can be used in unison to generate fat, modulated sounds or each of the oscillators can be pitched to make three note chords, of which each note can be independently sequenced to make complex and evolving phrases. When used together, the three oscillators can be slightly detuned for thick unison sounds.
The Volca Bass utilises a new filter circuit that has been developed specifically for bass frequencies offering a brighter, crisper sound when completely open, to wide and round as the cut off is reduced. Korg has also included a resonance control for making the sound wet and squelchy as well as driving the filter into distortion ? perfect for acid bass lines.
The sequencer section of the Korg Volca Bass is a direct descendant of the Electribe making it easy to add or remove notation on the fly to really enhance your performance. There are 16 easy to use step keys that allow you to enter individual notes whilst getting LED feedback from the position in the sequence. You can also input notes in real time using the touch panel keyboard and up to eight sequence patterns can be stored in the internal memory.
The main functions of the Korg Volca Bass include:
- Newly designed analog filter for crisp, bright response
- Simple structure with single VCF, VCA, LFO, and EG
- Loop sequencer distilled from the Electribe series
- Step Sequencer distilled from the Electribe series
- Slide function that’s indispensable for acid and other types of electronic music
- Active Step function generates new bass lines by removing or inserting steps
- Convenient functions for ease of use
- Self-tuning function overcomes pitch drift - the weak point of an analog synth
- SYNC jack and MIDI IN connector allow synchronized performances with multiple units or with your DAW
- Compact size, battery-powered operation, and built-in speaker for enjoyment anywhere